Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Week 2 - Reading Response

Wikipedia Readings

I think that the first wiki (with all the technical definitions) will be very helpful to me--I'm not so very technically literate, and it was nice to have everything broken down and easily defined.

What I actually think is most interesting about this weeks readings is that they were wikipedia entries. During undergrad, professors were divided (but mostly against) allowing Wikipedia as a "Scholarly" reference source, and even the ones who said it was okay felt that it was only acceptable for certain topics that were without much controversy. This could be one of the areas in which we can see that the "paradigm" dictating library services and standards for information sources is blurry, and Wikipedia itself is interesting in that many users produce one *agreed upon* body of knowledge/definition.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I was surprised that the readings were from Wikipedia. In other classes I have taken in LIS when we came to discussions on Wikipedia material it was always a place you could start to look for information but not the final piece of information you should cite in a paper.