Friday, October 24, 2008

Week 9- Reading Response

This week's readings were introductions of and tutorials for XML, a supposedly better, clearer, and easier to se mark-up language. I say supposedly because the very last tutorial called for a basic understanding of HTML, XML domain namesand other sundries--I don't think that after two weeks of reading articles about them that I have any real understanding, let alone a basic one.

That being said, once I start Assignment 6 I think that a lot of what the articles are talking about will become English for me: right now, a lot of it is simply too abstract or else too new for me to hold in my head long enough to make sense of the arguments for why XML is better, or specifically what the differences are. I understand that HTML had preset tags that you use to create, whereas in XML you define your own entity "elements." It's at this point when it comes to computer programming that I start to get really frustrated, because I want to understand how the "computer" originally, the very first time they were entered, learned what all the commands meant, and how it understands what the tags I make up mean. It is the part of computing I cannot hold in my head or else that noone can explain to me in terms I understand.

2 comments:

Susanna Woods said...

I have to agree with you that hands on is the way to learn. Reading is only one part of learning. As for assignment 6, after I saw the video for class #8 I decided to imediately download KompoZer and use this software to do the assignment. The class video format is just not helping me with this subject. Maybe class at Pitt will be better. Sue

Alesha said...

I don't think it's us, Maggie. A friend at work saw me printing off our reading material for this week and said, "XML...oh, you poor thing" even before I got a chance to read them and get confused. I've also wondered how they know what to type to get desired results. It's probably not totally trial and error, but I'm not sure.